Gaming is a billion-dollar industry. More than half of the gamers play games on their phones or handheld devices. There is no age limit, games are popular among all age groups. Slightly less than half of the gamers are women. Boys like to play aggressive and violent games and girls like to play puzzles and platform games. Some of the popular games are earning revenue more than the annual budget of some of the countries.
Feeling motivated??? If you want to develop games, you need to decide the right genre you are interested in (though this information is useful if you are just a gamer). Below are the details for you now…a simplified list to provide you a high level view (another article is on its way about game development platforms and tools):
1. Adventure: Usually there is an Antagonist and one or more Protagonists in adventure games. Protagonists create obstacles and problems. Some examples are games based on movies like Sherlock Holmes, Indiana Jones. Another common name used for Adventure games is Visual Novel.
2. Action: Action games let you deal with physical challenges. A decent hand-eye coordination is required. How quickly you react is important. Famous sub-genres of action games are First Person Shooter, Fighting and Third Person Shooter. Call of Duty (COD) is famous example of First Person Shooter…Doom is the game which made these kind of games famous among gamers. Street Fighter is an example of Fighting games and Gears of War is an example of Third Person Shooter.
3. Role Playing Games (RPGs): Player assume the role of a character in a virtual world, while playing, player can acquire different skills. Diablo is most famous example in this genre.
4. Simulation: Simulate real world objects and situations. Examples are Microsoft Flight Simulator, Police Simulator.
5. Strategy: Skillful thinking is required to make strategy. You have to deal with real life challenges like logistics and economics. Example is Age of Empires.
6. Programming: Player has no direct influence on gameplay/main course of the game. All you have to do is to set parameters and let the magic begin. All such games are based on Artificial Intelligence (AI). Example is Artificial Life (iPhone).
7. Puzzle: As the name suggests, you have to solve the puzzles. Example is Puzzle Bricks (iPhone).
8. Trivia: Usually board games for people not having much time. The quiz applications mostly fall in this category and most suitable platform for such games is mobile devices but a huge number of online Trivia is also available.
9. Music: Want to learn music, this is the game genre for you. Famous example is Guitar Hero.
For more Details… please visit the following:
Author Profile on Google+